Thursday, August 13, 2015

REVIEW: Maybelline Dream Satin Skin

Hello my loves! Today, I'm going to talk about the newest foundation from Maybelline New York here in the Philippines: Dream Satin Skin.



Finding the right foundation for my skin has always been such a feat. My skin is oily, but I do have dry patches on the sides of my face. I find that matte finishes are too flat for me, and makes me look like I have a lot of makeup on. I prefer the satin finishes that seem to look like my skin, only better.



I purchased the Maybelline Dream Satin Skin two weeks ago in the SM Beauty Department of SM Marikina. The Dream Satin Skin is Php 499, not a bad price point. I took B4, in the light range, though I have medium skin tone. Foundations usually oxidize on me because I'm acidic (and oily! T_T) so I usually purchase the ones a shade lighter than my actual match.



According to the packaging it has SPF 24 PA ++ (The + stands for the level of UVA protection). It's an air-whipped liquid foundation. "Our unique air-soft formula provides poreless, satin-smooth looking skin. Extraordinary coverage that does not clog pores. Long-lasting and moisturizing all day." The formula is non comedogenic which means this is fine for acne-prone skin, provided you don't usually break out from spf products.




As can be seen, the packaging comes in a glass bottle with a pump. The plastic cover makes it look cheap though, but a pump is always a plus for me. It doesn't make much of a mess, you can control the product that comes out and overall it's just more hygienic.


I pumped a small amount on the back of my hand. The formula is creamy and dense, does not run at all. In my experience, this kind of formula is best applied with a damp sponge or your fingers. This photo was taken in natural light, and you can literally see my green veins lol. The foundation looks like it's a bit lighter than my skin tone. 



Once blended, it almost matches my skin to a T. The coverage is medium, I wouldn't suggest building it though. The humidity in the Philippines is bound to make it look cakey if too much is applied. The finish is skin like. Not a flat matte, and not greaseball dewy. I do have to set it with a powder though especially on my T-zone area else I'd look like a pan of cooked adobo within a couple of hours. With primer and setting powder, this foundation has lasted me a good 7 hours with *controlled* oiliness. I do need to blot within the fourth hour, but that's because I'm extremely oily and sweat a lot.

Here's my two cents:
  1. Price point: 9/10. At Php 499, this is a pretty good foundation for the price.
  2. Packaging: 7/10. I really don't like the plastic cover on this one, it feels cheap, but it does the job of keeping the dust and other microbes away from the pump. The pump is great though.
  3. Formula: 8/10. Creamy, not runny, not messy. It doesn't take forever to blend either, great if you're in a hurry. I do have to beat my face with my sponge with this, I prefer the sponge rather than my fingers, I just don't like the feel of product on my fingers.
  4. Longevity: 7/10. It's a satin finish, but it did promise to be long-lasting all day. It started breaking down on me by the seventh hour. Not cool. I gave it a 7 anyway, because come on, for its price, it's not so bad. 

VERDICT:
7.75 / 10

This is a good foundation, especially if you're just starting in makeup and don't want to break the bank, I would recommend this. You don't need to be a professional to blend this into your skin. It has a pretty good SPF, which is great for everyday, but not so good for flash photography. 

Maybelline has a pretty good deal this August, buy two items and get one free. This is available in all Maybelline stores nationwide. 


Maybelline is available in department stores, Watsons nationwide. Link to their Philippine website: http://www.maybelline.com.ph/ and their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/maybellinephilippines


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I want this tooo! : ) Thank you for recommending the Dream Matte Mousse foundation.

Hanna Pauline Nicolas said...

What's you skin color? I wanted to buy the B2 online but I don't know if it would look good on me :(

Hanna Pauline Nicolas said...

What's you skin color? I wanted to buy the B2 online but I don't know if it would look good on me :(

Post a Comment